Kairos Power is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Calling Civil Engineering Majors!
Are you a creative, proactive and eager student with a solution-oriented mindset and the ability to change course quickly in a high-paced environment? If so, our Civil Engineering Internship is the perfect opportunity for wildly competent students with a passion for making an impact in a high-performing engineering organization. Jumpstart your career with one of Forbes Best Startup Employers in 2021!
Kairos Power, LLC is seeking highly motivated students for our Civil Engineering Internships. Through our unique internships, we provide students with hands-on experience working on innovative nuclear design through high performance computing and experimental investigative methods.
Internships can include but are not limited to:
- Mechanical/Structural Engineer Intern where you will contribute to the structural design and analysis effort on medium to large projects for a generation IV Nuclear Power Plant, and related scaled prototype and test plants. The successful candidate will be responsible for meeting the specific project requirements and assuring the technical correctness of design and analysis. The person will work with an integrated design team to perform the following duties:
- Learn and utilize applicable building codes and design codes.
- Design structures following the functional and code requirements utilizing both hand calculation and commercially available finite element analysis software (ANSYS preferred).
- Develop engineering design calculation packages, which may include static, dynamic, blast, vibration, and thermal stresses, utilizing both hand analysis and finite element analysis. Evaluate life of structural components for low and high cycle fatigue.
- Experience in explicit dynamics is a plus.
- Experienced with scripting is a plus (Python, Excel Macro)
- Develop 3D models and 2D drawings using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Prepare presentations and reports of the work performed.
- Review, update and provide guidance on the structural material selection and structural component specifications.
- Ensure process integrity; promote safe operability and maintainability via formal reviews.
About our Internships
Our 12-week summer internships provide interns with challenging and meaningful hands-on work opportunities where they are able to apply their course learnings to real world scenarios. In addition to the core internship work assignments, our interns learn and grow professionally through our exceptional training & development opportunities, social & networking engagements, exposure to leaders within the organization and valuable mentorships.
Named to Forbes' Best Startups in 2021, Kairos Power offers state-of-the-art innovation laboratories in the iconic San Francisco Bay Area and in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Currently enrolled, about to graduate or recently graduated in a BS or MS program in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil/Structural, Nuclear Engineering or similar discipline.
- Strong background in solid mechanics and strength of materials is required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of fundamental finite element method, computational fluid dynamics, and/or heat transfer is desired.
- Experience with commercial finite element software is a plus.
- Familiarity with CAD software is a plus.
- Familiarity with seismic codes, support structures, pressure vessel design, pipe stress, and steel design is a plus.
Physical & Environments Conditions
Varies by role. Please inquire for specific requirements.
Safety and PPE
Varies by role. Will be provided prior to interview.
Varies by role. Extremely limited.
This is a pipeline requisition. Qualified candidates will be considered for open 2022 internship positions as they become available.
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, full-time employees (excludes interns) expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities that we do business in. Kairos Power is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.